• Expanded frequencies between Sydney-Brisbane, Sydney-Gold Coast, Sydney-Sunshine Coast, and Brisbane-Newcastle
• Resumption of services between Sydney-Cairns, Sydney-Hamilton Island and Sydney-Whitsunday Coast (Proserpine)
• More than 65,000 seats between Queensland and New South Wales by Christmas
BRISBANE, 24 November 2020: Virgin Australia Group has welcomed the Queensland Government’s decision to reopen the border to Greater Sydney expanding frequencies and resuming several interstate services.
Customers will benefit from additional frequencies between Sydney-Brisbane, Sydney-Gold Coast, Sydney-Sunshine Coast and Newcastle-Brisbane, while flights between Sydney-Cairns, Sydney-Hamilton Island and Sydney-Whitsunday Coast (Proserpine) will take-off again ahead of Christmas.
Virgin Australia General Manager Network and Revenue Management Russell Shaw said the Queensland Government’s decision to reopen the border with Greater Sydney will help the airline and tourism industry to get back on its feet and put more people back to work.
“We recognise our role as one of Queensland’s largest employers and our ability to contribute to both the Queensland and New South Wales tourism economies,” said Mr Shaw.
“The additional services will be timed to provide choice and convenience for customers, while at the same time give travellers the opportunity to do business and reconnect with loved ones, families and friends ahead of the well-earned Christmas break.
Virgin Australia and Tourism and Events Queensland are working together on a number of marketing initiatives designed to kick-start the tourism industry and show that Queensland is ready to welcome more travellers to the sunshine state.
“The initiatives will highlight the many wonderful things Queensland has to offer visitors alongside the award-winning service and benefits of travelling with Virgin Australia.”
As part of Virgin Australia’s Passenger Promise and for peace-of-mind, the airline is continuing to provide flexibility to change bookings up until 31 January 2021 alongside a range of health and wellbeing reassurances.
EXPANDED FREQUENCIES AND SERVICES RESUMED:
• Sydney-Brisbane (Three services per day from 01 December, increasing up to seven services per day by Christmas)
• Sydney-Gold Coast (Daily services from 01 December, increasing to three services per day by Christmas)
• Sydney-Sunshine Coast (Five services per week from 01 December, increasing to daily services by Christmas)
• Brisbane-Newcastle (Nine services per week from 01 December, increasing to twice daily by Christmas)
• Sydney-Cairns (Four services per week from 01 December, increasing to daily services by Christmas)
• Sydney-Hamilton Island (Four services per week from 08 December, increasing to daily from 21 December)
• Sydney-Whitsunday Coast Proserpine (Three services per week from 17 December)
For more information about the Virgin Australia Passenger Promise and to book head to virginaustralia.com