- Velocity Frequent Flyer Discover Gold Status offer extended until 4 January 2021
- Eligible frequent flyer loyalty programs expanded to include Qantas’ oneworld® partner airlines, Emirates, Fiji Airways and Air New Zealand
- Melbourne and Sydney lounges to reopen today
- Eligible Discover Gold Status members can also enjoy a year-long Velocity Gold membership and associated benefits for them and their companion
Virgin Australia has today raised the frequent flyer stakes even higher, expanding eligibility of its Velocity Discover Gold Status match offer to include eligible frequent flyer members of oneworld partner airlines, Emirates, Fiji Airways and Air New Zealand.
Originally offered to Qantas Gold, Platinum and Platinum One members, the expanded eligibility follows an overwhelming number of requests from members of oneworld airline partners since the offer was first announced last week. Thousands of Qantas members have decided to make the move and try Virgin Australia’s award-winning service.
Eligible approved members who submit a short expression of interest form on the Velocity website, will receive a Velocity Discover Gold Status trial membership for three-months, which offers complimentary Lounge access, priority boarding, preferential seating, higher checked baggage allowances, and lucrative bonus points when they book and fly with Virgin Australia1.
In a further win for eligible members, Virgin Australia has extended the offer end date to 4 January 2021, giving members an additional two weeks to apply, creating more opportunities for members to start reaping the benefits of flying with Virgin Australia as a Gold member.
As part of the generous offer, eligible members can retain Velocity Gold status for 12-months and receive an additional benefit of Velocity Gold membership for their companion, once they take one eligible Virgin Australia flight and earn 80 status credits during their three-month Discover Gold Status trial period.
Status Credits can also be maximised through Velocity’s unrivalled family pooling benefit, making it easier for members to retain their sought-after membership.
Virgin Australia Group CEO Jayne Hrdlicka said she looked forward to welcoming more members to the Velocity Frequent Flyer program following an unprecedented level of enquiry from Qantas members wanting to join.
“We’ve received thousands of applications from Qantas Frequent Flyer members wanting to take advantage of cheaper fares and award-winning service since announcing our Velocity status match offer last week and we look forward to welcoming them onboard.
“Virgin Australia and Velocity have a fantastic reputation globally and we’ve received a very high number of enquiries from frequent flyer members of international airlines, so we’re pleased to expand the status match offer to include all 13 oneworld partner airlines, as well as eligible members from Emirates, Fiji Airways and Air New Zealand.
“With our lounges in Sydney and Melbourne reopening today and thousands of new members joining the Velocity Frequent Flyer program, Virgin Australia is flying high into a new era of travel. You can feel the excitement through our airports and our lounges from our people and our guests who are happy to be travelling again.
“The good news just keeps on coming from Virgin Australia and this is a testament to that,” said Ms Hrdlicka.
Velocity Frequent Flyer will continue to offer eligible Gold and Platinum members a status extension of up to one year or until 31 March 2022, if they take one eligible flight with Virgin Australia before 28 March 20211.
Velocity will also continue to reward Gold and Platinum members with 5,000 bonus points when they take two eligible flights with Virgin Australia by 28 March 2021. Economy X upgrades will also be offered to Velocity Gold members, and Business Class upgrades to Velocity Platinum members, when they take three three or more eligible flights in the same period1.
Velocity Frequent Flyer members are an important part of the future of Virgin Australia and the expanded Discover Gold Status offer comes as the airline prepares to reopen its Melbourne and Sydney lounges today.
For more information about the Velocity Frequent Flyer Discover Gold Status and Status Rewards membership offers, visit: velocityfrequentflyer.com
NOTES TO EDITOR
- Velocity Frequent Flyer boasts more than 10 million members
- Qualifying for Velocity Gold membership ordinarily requires a member to fly four eligible sectors and earn 500 status credits in one year before they are eligible for the sough-after status tier
- A full list of loyalty programs eligible for Velocity Discover Gold Status can be found, here
- Velocity Gold status key benefits:
- Access to Virgin Australia Domestic Lounges, with complimentary lounge access for a guest, and up to three children;
- Priority check-in and screening at major domestic airports ;
- Additional complimentary baggage;
- Preferential seating; and
- Access to flexible flying ‘Fly ahead’ (on earlier flights where available)
- Examples of status credits earned on Virgin Australia one-way flights:
- Melbourne – Sydney in Business Class = 55 status credits (110 return)
- Melbourne – Sydney in Economy/Economy = 25 status credits (50 return)
- Melbourne – Perth in Economy = 45 status credits (90 return)
- Brisbane – Hobart in Business Saver = 90 status credits (180 return)
- Virgin Australia Lounge network:
- Brisbane – opened on 18 November
- Melbourne – opening today
- Sydney – opening today
- Gold Coast – opening soon
- Perth – opening soon
- Adelaide – opening soon
1Terms and Conditions.
Eligibility criteria, exclusions and Terms and Conditions apply. For the full Discover Gold Status and Status Rewards Terms and Conditions see: https://experience.velocityfrequentflyer.com/member-support/velocity-update/status-extension