21 May 2020: Virgin Australia will add new flights and increase frequencies under a revised agreement with the Federal Government to connect essential travellers and critical freight with towns and cities across Australia.
The changes, which take its underwritten schedule from 64 to 76 return services per week, will bring Adelaide and Perth closer together with a new three-times weekly return service. Guests travelling between Brisbane and Melbourne, Brisbane-Mackay and Brisbane-Cairns will also be given more flexibility to travel with increased frequencies.
Key changes include:
• Adding three return services per week between Adelaide and Perth commencing this Friday 22 May
• Increased services between Brisbane and Melbourne from once daily to twice daily
• Increased services between Brisbane and Mackay from five times per week to six times per week
• Increased services between Brisbane and Cairns from three times per week to four times per week
• Increasing capacity between Perth and Newman, Perth-Karratha and Perth-Port Hedland by upgrading the aircraft from a Fokker 100 to Boeing 737
Virgin Australia Chief Commercial Officer John MacLeod said the extension of our underwritten schedule will provide more options and flexibility for travellers and cargo customers alike, and despite several travel restrictions still being in place, the services will be a welcomed boost to local and state economies.
“Guests should feel assured that Virgin Australia will continue to support connectivity across Australia and looks forward to further easing of state restrictions to enable more Australians to fly. We thank the Federal Government for their support.”
Virgin Australia is also collaborating with airlines and airports on a consistent national policy framework as part of the Australian Aviation Recovery Coalition response to COVID-19. Some outcomes of those discussions are expected in the coming weeks.
The revised schedule will commence on Friday 22 May and will remain in place until 11 June 2020, with flights available for booking on our website from today.
More information about our current network schedule is available on our customer care hub at virginaustralia.com.