Velocity Frequent Flyer soars to 11 million members
- Velocity Frequent Flyer announces the program has reached 11 million members.
- Ranked as the nation’s third-largest loyalty program, Velocity now has the equivalent of one member in every Australian household.
- The milestone follows a 24-month transformation of the program, which has seen significant growth and average Points earn per member per month more than double since January 2022*.
- Members are now connected to more destinations than ever before while continuing to enjoy unique benefits like Family Pooling.
- [MO1] To celebrate the milestone, Velocity Frequent Flyer members with a linked Flybuys account can earn up to quadruple Status Credits^^ when shopping at Coles, Liquorland or First Choice Liquor Market this month.
- Velocity Frequent Flyer is free to join. For more information and to join, visit here.
Velocity Frequent Flyer, the loyalty program of Virgin Australia, has today announced its membership base has grown to a whopping 11 million members – the equivalent of one member in every Australian household.
Ranked as the nation’s third-largest loyalty program, Velocity has undergone a significant transformation over the past 24 months, with new industry-leading airline partnerships, earn and redemption opportunities, a revolutionised business strategy, pioneering membership innovations and more.
More than 2,000 new members are now joining Velocity each day, representing some of the highest acquisition numbers in the program’s history, with average Points earn per member per month having more than doubled since January 2022.
The continuous upward trajectory of new members, coupled with the program’s ‘Switch-A-Roo from you know who’ offer, which saw many thousands of new members join Velocity from its nearest competitor, is demonstrating the program’s popularity among Australian travellers.
Velocity Frequent Flyer CEO, Nick Rohrlach said the 11-million milestone and recent surge in members reflects the fact that Velocity’s renewed offering is resonating with travellers.
“We’re extremely proud of where Velocity Frequent Flyer is today, offering members value and choice while helping Australians get more from their dollar,” said Mr Rohrlach.
“We like to do things differently, take airline loyalty out of the mould and offer unique experiences, exceptional rewards and unparalleled service that attracts new members and recognises those who have been loyal to us for a very long time.
“We know we have a compelling offer for business and leisure travellers who have less discretionary spend amid rising inflation but who want better value airfares and a much easier pathway to achieve Gold and Platinum Status, all while flying with a premium and vibrant airline like Virgin Australia.
“We are laser focused on continuing to be the tailwind to get members to their status and Points goals faster and a place where members see value in their loyalty through extensive ways to earn and redeem – especially in today’s economic environment.
“The sheer volume of initiatives we’ve been able to stand up, which have contributed significantly to our growth, is testament to our people at Velocity, as well as our incredible partners and the loyalty of members who choose to fly with us.
“11 million members is a huge milestone for the program and as we look forward, our ambition is to nurture and reward our existing membership base which we know will result in even more Australians joining the Velocity family,” he said.
Velocity Frequent Flyer’s transformation highlights and customer innovations, giving Australians more value and choice:
- Expanded Flybuys’ partnership allowing members to transfer Points earnt at Bunnings and Officeworks, along with Coles, Liquorland, Target, Kmart and more, to Velocity.
- Partnered with national department store Myer, giving members access to more than 200,000 products at myer.com.au using Points or Points + Pay to drive their dollar further;
- Repriced the Velocity Rewards Store, offering more value than ever before with members now able to purchase items using up to 50 per cent less Points^;
- Better value airfares through a pricing restructure resulting in some of the airline’s domestic Economy fares for travel been capital city routes being up to 30 per cent better value than its nearest competitor**;
- Expanded international flight network to reach more places than ever before. Members can earn and redeem their Points to more than 500 destinations around the world with United Airlines and Qatar Airways now joining the program, alongside existing international partners Virgin Atlantic, Etihad Airways, Singapore Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, and Air Canada;
- A new partnership with 7-Eleven, rewarding members with Points for topping up with fuel and purchasing convenience items;
- Renewed partnerships with major Australian banks, allowing members to earn Points on a host of credit cards, with bonus Points up-for-grabs across many cards at sign up. See latest offers, here;
- Continued to offer members unique airline loyalty program benefits including Family Pooling, Parental Pause and Australia’s first frequent flyer program for pets;
- Launched a partnership with Rocket Travel, (part of the Booking.com and Agoda conglomerate), to launch a new booking platform that offers members Points earn and redemption offers on over 400,000 hotel room deals and an extensive range of car rental options across the globe;
- Supported Virgin Australia with the launch of Virgin Australia Business Flyer to provide greater value and rewards to Australian small and medium sized businesses. Thousands of businesses have since joined the program.
Today’s announcement follows the culmination of the first stage of the Virgin Australia business transformation in September 2022, which has returned the airline group to profitability. Virgin Australia also recently announced its Bring on Wonderful campaign and Middle Seat Lottery, which has attracted headlines around the globe.
For more information and to join Velocity for free, visit here.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
*Average Velocity Frequent Flyer Points earn per member who earned in January 1 – 31, and October 1- 31, 2022.
**Butler Caroye domestic airfare review, August 2022
- An airfare study conducted by external consultant Butler Caroye released in August 2022 has found that, between March and June 2022, some of Virgin Australia’s corporate domestic Economy fares for travel between capital city routes were up to 30 per cent better value in comparison to the airline’s nearest competitor.
- The same study found that Virgin Australia Business Class fares were almost 60 per cent better value than the same competitor for travel between capital city routes, with Virgin Australia selling seats at the pointy end between Melbourne and Sydney for as low as $299 one-way. Butler Caroye, “Australian Domestic Business Airfares in 1st Half 2022 – Blue Paper”, August 2022. The full study can be read here.
^Velocity Rewards Store Terms and Conditions
* “Less Points” compared to Points pricing of the same stocked item, on 18 November 2022.
Please review all terms and conditions before making your selection, as refunds or replacements are not provided if you change your mind or make a wrong selection. You’re entitled to the benefit of statutory consumer guarantees for products you get from the Rewards Store. Please see Velocity Rewards Store Terms and Conditions for further information. Please inspect a product as soon as possible after delivery to confirm it matches the description provided and is of acceptable quality. If you have an enquiry relating to a purchased product (e.g. the product is damaged or faulty upon delivery), please contact Collinson using the Member Support page, email CustomerServiceVelocity@collinsongroup.com or call the Velocity Membership Contact Centre.
Products featured are current as of November 2022 and may become unavailable. The Product range and price are subject to change. See Rewards Store website for more details.
^^ Bonus Status Credit Campaign Terms and Conditions
Status Credit terms and conditions
Velocity Frequent Flyer members must link their Velocity membership to their Flybuys household and must remain linked until 11:59pm AEDT 31 December 2022 to earn Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits under this Promotion. Only one Velocity membership can be linked to a Flybuys household at any one time. Between 12.00am AEDT 1 December 2022 and 11.59pm AEDT 31 December 2022 (‘Promotion Period’), Members who link or have already linked their Velocity Frequent Flyer membership to their Flybuys account can earn up to a maximum of 40 Status Credits during the Promotion Period through the following:
a) Members who opt into Velocity Auto Transfer will receive an earn rate of 4 Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits for every $100 (including GST) spent in total across Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland, and First Choice Liquor Market during the Promotion Period when they scan their Flybuys card at the time of purchase and remain opted into Velocity Auto Transfer until the end of the Promotion Period (up to a maximum of 40 Status Credits during the Promotion Period). Spend is after savings, discounts and vouchers and excludes the purchase of gift cards, tobacco, tobacco related products, charity donations and delivery/service fees. This earn rate applies on and when Members opt into Velocity Auto Transfer provided the Member remains opted into Velocity Auto Transfer until the end of the Promotion Period; or
b) Members will receive an earn rate of 2 Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits for every $100 (including GST) spent in total across Coles, Coles Online, Liquorland, and First Choice Liquor Market during the Promotion Period when they scan their Flybuys card at the time of purchase (up to a maximum of 20 Status Credits during the Promotion Period). Spend is after savings, discounts and vouchers and excludes the purchase of gift cards, tobacco, tobacco related products, charity donations and delivery/service fees. This earn rate applies until Members opt in to Velocity Auto Transfer and meet the criteria in (a), or if Members do not remain opted into Velocity Auto Transfer until the end of the Promotion Period.
No fractions of Status Credits will be allocated, only whole Status Credits. Members who opt into Velocity Auto Transfer during the Promotion Period but have accrued Status Credits through option (b) can only earn up to a maximum of 40 Status Credits in total during the Promotion Period. No retrospective claims for Status Credits will be accepted at any time, even in instances where due to technology malfunctions eligible spend is unable to be added to the Flybuys household account. Members who have selected family pooling will have their Status Credits pooled from Contributing Accounts to the Beneficiary account. Please allow up to 4 weeks after the end of each calendar month for your Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits to be credited. Velocity Frequent Flyer Status Credits will not appear on your Flybuys statement, see your Velocity account for your Status Credit balance. Velocity members also need to fly on Virgin Australia marketed flights to earn Eligible Sectors in addition to Status Credits to upgrade or maintain a new level of membership.
Find out more about the Status Credit and Eligible Sector requirements for Velocity membership levels at velocityfrequentflyer.com/status. Velocity membership Terms and Conditions apply.
Liquor terms and conditions
Orders taken and fulfilled by Liquorland Australia Pty Ltd ABN 82 007 512 414 (Licence Numbers 93603, 6020029967, 14005558, 32059704, 80063, LIQP770010162, 50102218, LIQP700382090 [Type of licence - Tavern licence. Name of licensee - Liquorland (Qld) Pty Ltd. Address - 1120-1124 Albany Highway, Bentley WA 6102. Telephone number - (08) 6254 6200]) in accordance with liquor licensing laws. These offers are not available in-stores in the Port Hedland and South Hedland, WA and NT areas. All orders must be placed and received by persons aged 18 years or older, proof of age must be supplied on request. SA: WARNING: Liquor Licensing ACT 1997: Liquor must not be sold or supplied to persons under 18. Flybuys and its liquor partners support ID25, DrinkWise (get the facts DrinkWise.org.au) and the responsible enjoyment of alcohol.
Please allow up to 48 hours for Velocity Points to be credited to your linked Velocity account and for your Flybuys points balance to be updated. Once Flybuys points have been redeemed for Velocity Points they can’t be returned to your Flybuys account. Standard Flybuys Terms and Conditions apply to the collection of Flybuys points.